“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rye in Rockingham County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)

Atlantic Cable Station and Sunken Forest

Atlantic Cable Station and Sunken Forest Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rod Funston, March 21, 2012
1. Atlantic Cable Station and Sunken Forest Marker
Inscription.  The receiving station for the first Atlantic cable, laid in 1874, is located on Old Beach Road opposite this location. The remains of the Sunken Forest (remnants of the Ice Age) may be seen at low tide. Intermingled with these gnarled stumps is the original Atlantic cable.
Erected by New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. (Marker Number 063.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsEnvironment. In addition, it is included in the New Hampshire Historical Highway Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 42° 59.584′ N, 70° 45.543′ W. Marker is in Rye, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Marker is on Ocean Boulevard (New Hampshire Route 1A), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rye NH 03870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isles Of Shoals (approx. one mile away); New Isles of Shoals Marker (approx. one mile away); Rye NH War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Key Facts about Pulpit Rock Tower
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3.4 miles away); Pulpit Rock Fire Control Tower (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lafayette's Tour (approx. 4.8 miles away); 480 Portsmouth Avenue (approx. 4.8 miles away); Congregational Church (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rye.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2012, by Rod Funston of Eastham, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,187 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photo   1. submitted on March 22, 2012, by Rod Funston of Eastham, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024