Denmark in Madison County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Denmark Presbyterian Church
Wartime House of Worship
This church, built by slaves in 1854, played a significant role in Madison County’s Civil War experiences. In April 1861, days after the firing on Fort Sumter, South Carolina, 104 local men formed a company called The Danes, later part of the 6th Tennessee Infantry (CSA). The community gathered here at the church to watch the new soldiers muster before they left for Camp Beauregard in nearby Jackson. At the ceremony, Emma Cobb presented a silk flag with the company’s name to Capt. John Ingram.
On the eve of the Battle of Britton Lane on August 31, 1862, the 20th and 30th Illinois Infantry Regiments commanded by Col. Elias S. Dennis camped in a grove of mulberry trees near the church. After the battle, Confederate Gen. Frank C. Armstrong’s cavalry brigade spent the night in Denmark on its return south. The Confederates kept their prisoners on the church’s second floor, which was a Masonic Lodge. Inscriptions believed to have been written by these Federal soldiers can still be seen along the bottoms of the walls.
By 1863, the Union army controlled much of West Tennessee. Local Confederates returning to Denmark on leave
Near the church is its historic cemetery, where three Confederate veterans, including Capt. Ingram, are buried. The Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
“We captured two pieces of artillery, destroyed a portion of the (wagon) train, and took 213 prisoners.”—Gen. Frank C. Armstrong, September 2, 1862
(lower left) Map of Denmark - Courtesy Tennessee Library and Archives
(upper center) Col. Elias S. Dennis and Gen. Frank C. Armstrong Courtesy Library of Congress
(upper right) Graffiti inside the church: “Always Remember” and “Memphis, Tenn.” Courtesy Tim Batross
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1861.
Location. 35° 31.96′ N, 89° 0.046′ W. Marker is in Denmark, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is at the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Denmark TN 38391, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Denmark Danes (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Denmark Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); Flag Bearer for Denmark Danes (within shouting distance of this marker); Denmark Presbyterian Church Mulberry Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Denmark Danes (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Denmark Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Britton's Lane (approx. 3.8 miles away); Battle of Britton Lane (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denmark.
Also see . . .
1. The Denmark Presbyterian Church: A Corner of Tennessee History. National Trust for Historic Preservation website entry (Submitted on March 20, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Battle of Britton's Lane. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on March 20, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.