Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Federal Dam

 
 
Federal Dam Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 22, 2014
1. Federal Dam Marker
Inscription.  Great dam built by the United States Government two miles south on the Tygarts Valley River River to control floods in the Monongahela Valley. It is 210 feet high and 1780 feet long. It forms a lake of over 4000 acres, 73 miles around.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
 
Location. 39° 20.785′ N, 80° 0.243′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of North Pike Street (U.S. 50) and Victory Avenue (U.S. 119), on the left when traveling west on North Pike Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Taylor County World War Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Grafton (a few steps from this marker); Fallen But Not Forgotten
Grafton and Federal Dam Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 22, 2014
2. Grafton and Federal Dam Markers
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); B&O Railroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Elks Lodge No. 308 (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Grafton (approx. 0.8 miles away); Willard Hotel (approx. 0.8 miles away); B&O Station (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
 
Additional keywords. It is in a small triangular park bounded by US 50, US 119, and Lincoln Street.
 
Tygart River Federal Dam image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of Joe Bollinger, ca. 1939
3. Tygart River Federal Dam
From "Taylor County" by the Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Society, 2000. The dam was built between January 1935 and September 1937. At the time it was the largest concrete structure east of the Mississippi River.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on March 10, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=75029

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 21, 2022