Fairview in Sanpete County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Fairview Pioneer Cemetery
The cemetery was originally laid out in a rectangular shape. In the late 1800s, a flood from the west draw washed out several graves in the northeast section of the cemetery, causing burial to cease in that section.
Many of the headstones, the oldest of native limestone, mark the graves of mothers and their children who died of disease, childbirth complications, and accidents. Entire families were laid to rest here, having worn out their lives making the desert "blossom as a rose." In turn, an honorable legacy was left.
Fairview, settled in 1859, was first named North Bend. Because of the incomparable scenery of the mountains to the east, blanketed with pines, aspens, and wild flowers in perfusion,
The Stone used to build this monument was the original stone from the Fairview Fort, built in the 1860s. During the Black Hawk War of the mid-1860s, some Fairview residents moved to nearby Mt. Pleasant for protection. Those who remained complied with leader Brigham Young's instructions to build a fort. By the end of 1866, a thick, ten-foot-high rock wall enclosed the center of town.
Erected 1999 by North Bend Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 523.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list.
Location. 39° 38.216′ N, 111° 27.139′ W. Marker is in Fairview, Utah, in Sanpete County. Marker is on Cemetery Road 0.4 miles north of West 100 North Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairview UT 84629, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mill Stones (approx. one mile away); Mt. Pleasant Fort (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Liberal Hall (approx. 6.3 miles away); Pioneer Monument (approx. 6.3 miles away); Last Peace TreatyWilliam Stuart Seeley House (approx. 6.4 miles away); Lewis Lund (approx. 9.7 miles away); Fountain Green (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.