Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Tonkawa Bank

Visita of Mission Espiritu Santo

 
 
Tonkawa Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, July 2, 2014
1. Tonkawa Bank Marker
Inscription.  Campsite for Franciscans from Mission Espiritu Santo (La Bahia) bringing Christian teachings to Indians associated with Mission. Tonkawas and other tribes were in locality when first visited by the Spaniards, 1689. Indians were sought as converts after Mission was founded in 1722. In turn, converts became Mission's "cowboys" — herding horses and stock. Although nomadic, they left many occupational sites. Stone footings nearby indicate permanent structure for padres' use. Tonkawas were here in Anglo-American colonization era, 1800s.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6572.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionHispanic AmericansNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail series list.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 28° 49.446′ N, 97° 0.782′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria
Tonkawa Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, July 2, 2014
2. Tonkawa Bank Marker
National Register of Historic Places plaque attached to pole of marker.
County. Marker is on McCright Drive 0.2 miles west of North Vine Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is in field near Victoria Parks and Recreation building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 476 McCright Drive, Victoria TX 77901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Tonkawa Bank (here, next to this marker); Presidio La Bahia and Mission Espíritu Santo (a few steps from this marker); John J. Linn (approx. 0.9 miles away); Agapito De Leon (approx. 0.9 miles away); Felix de Leon (approx. 0.9 miles away); Don Martin de León (approx. 0.9 miles away); Silvestre de Leon (approx. 0.9 miles away); Doña Patricia de la Garza de Leon (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
 
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named also named Tonkawa Bank (see nearby markers).
 
Also see . . .  Tracing a Mission and Its People. Texas Beyond History web page that includes detail on the "Tonkawa Bank" site. (Submitted on July 5, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Disposition of old marker.
Per e-mail from Gary Dunnam with Victoria County Historic Commission and Preservation Association, the old marker has moved to the Victoria County Archives.
    — Submitted September 9, 2019, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.
Tonkawa Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney
3. Tonkawa Bank Marker
Site where marker is located is part of the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail, Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga Tonkawa Bank Site, 1725-1726. Marker is visible in background behind and to left of signs erected by El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail Association
 
Guadalupe River image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney
4. Guadalupe River
Tonkawa Bank was a crossing of El Camino Real across the Guadalupe River. View from bank of Guadalupe River .15 miles west of marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 12, 2020