Constantine in St. Joseph County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Gov. John S. Barry
Gov. John S. Barry
Born – 1802
Died – 1870
Governor of Michigan
1842 — 1844 — 1850
Statesman - Lawyer - Merchant
This tablet marks site of
his store and ware house
where steam boats came
up the river from the
Erected by Woman’s Clubs
of St. Joseph County
Unveiled and dedicated
on Aug. 9, 1928.
Erected 1928 by Woman's Clubs of St. Joseph County.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1953.
Location. 41° 50.532′ N, 85° 40.157′ W. Marker is in Constantine, Michigan, in St. Joseph County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Water Street and Washington Street (Business U.S. 31), on the right when traveling west on W. Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Constantine MI 49042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within William Meek (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Constantine United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Stewart Barry (approx. 0.3 miles away); Constantine Civil War Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Constantine Tribute to Veterans of All Wars (approx. 0.7 miles away); In Memory of Wahbememe (approx. 3.1 miles away); Chief Wahbememe Burial Site (approx. 3.1 miles away); White Pigeon Fallen Soldiers Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Constantine.
Also see . . .
1. Governor John S. Barry - A Yankee Governor in a Georgia Court. A comprehensive biography from The Courier Herald newspaper in Dublin, Georgia. (Submitted on July 6, 2014.)
2. Hotel Harvey. Photograph of the Hotel Harvey in the early 20th century from the Village of Constantine website. (Submitted on July 6, 2014.)
1. Harvey House Hotel
The Harvey House Hotel was built in 1903 on the site of a general store owned and operated by Governor Barry and his son. The foundation timbers of the hotel are the original timbers from the adjacent river warehouse that was built by Governor Barry in the 1850s.
— Submitted July 6, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 287 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.