Glover in Orleans County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
On this site, on June 6, 1810 settlers dug an outlet to the north from what was then known as Long Pond. The retaining bank collapsed, causing all water from the 1.5-mile long pond to be discharged toward Barton River, and on to Lake Memphremagog, with extensive damage to the countryside, but no loss of life.
Erected 2010 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1852.
Location. 44° 37.96′ N, 72° 12.679′ W. Marker is in Glover, Vermont, in Orleans County. Marker is on Dry Pond Road (Vermont Route 16) 1.9 miles north of Quarry Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located off Dry Pond Road (Route 16) in a rest area (no services). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glover VT 05839, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wheelock (approx. 7 miles away); Henry M. Leland (approx. 8.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Sterling College (approx. 8½ miles away); Site of Lyndon's First Town Meeting (approx. 10.4 miles away); Camp Wapanacki (approx. 10.4 miles away); Theodore N. Vail (approx. 11.3 miles away); Elizabeth Rowell Thompson (approx. 11.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia - Runaway Pond. (Submitted on July 6, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
2. Vermont Living - The story of Runaway Pond. (Submitted on July 6, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Additional keywords. Glover Day; Aaron Wilson; Spencer Chamberlain; Runaway Pond Road Race
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.