Thompson's Station in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Thompson's Station Train Depot
Originally built 1866
The depot was called Thompsonís Station in honor of Dr. Elijah Thompson, who donated the land on which the village was built. Farmers drove their animals and products down the gravel roads to this depot for shipment to far away markets. Thompsonís station was known as the German Millet Capital of the World because of the large amount of the grain grown in the area.
There was a depot here before the one built in 1866. It is mentioned in a description of the Battle of Thompsonís Station in an issue of the Tennessee Historical Quarterly. Apparently that one was destroyed in the battle and the other one built in 1866.
Location. 35° 48.006′ N, 86° 54.614′ W. Marker is in Thompson's Station, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Thompson's Station Road West and School Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1502 Thompsons Station Rd W, Thompsons Station TN 37179, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thompson's Station (here, next to this marker); Battle of Thompsonís Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hood's Retreat (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hood and Schofield (approx. 2.9 miles away); William Banks Caperton (approx. 3.4 miles away); Spring Hill, Tennessee ~ November 29, 1864 (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Town of Spring Hill, Tennessee (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ewell Farm (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thompson's Station.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Thompson's Station Train Depot.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.