Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
City of Pulaski, Tennessee
The eastern section of the “New Pulaski Cemetery” was designated as “Potter’s Field”, and indigents and unknowns were given a dignified internment there.
The City Board controlled this property until 1856 when an Act of the Tennessee General Assembly was passed and a charter for a corporation granted. A Board of Trustees was appointed by the City Board to manage the affairs of the cemetery. Oversight continued with Trustees for 139 years until in 1995 the ownership of the cemetery was transferred back to the City of Pulaski.
In 1880 it was suggested that a more attractive name should be given to
More land has been added over the years, the first of which was six acres on the south side, added in 1878, including a specific area for burial of “Negro citizens.”
Times of turmoil are represented by the graves of those who fought in the Civil War, two World Wars, Korea and Vietnam.
This place reflects the history of Pulaski and Giles County as the rich and poor, prominent and unknown, rest in graves marked by unique and beautiful statuary or simple ground stones.
Erected by Pulaski Heritage Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 35° 11.574′ N, 87° 1.742′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is on South Rhodes Street near East Cemetery Street, on the right when traveling north. Located just inside the cemetery entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas McKissack Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Martin (1799-1870)General John Calvin Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); Aaron V. Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); Neill Smith Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); General John Adams, CSA (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James M. McCallum (about 300 feet away); John Goff Ballentine (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.