Miami in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Housekeepers Club met in the schoolhouse and later at Union Chapel before 1897. In that year the group built its own wooden clubhouse on property donated by Ralph M. Munroe. The present building of pine masonry and native rock was constructed in 1921. At each location the club maintained its active involvement in the civic, social, and cultural aspects of the community.
On March 17, 1957, the Housekeepers Club became the Woman's Club of Coconut Grove. Chartered by the State of Florida in 1897, the club is federated with the General, Florida, and Dade County Federations of Women's Clubs.
Erected by Women's Club of Coconut Grove and the Historical Association of Southern
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers • Women.
Location. 25° 43.603′ N, 80° 14.39′ W. Marker is in Miami, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of South Bayshore Drive and McFarlane Road, on the right when traveling south on South Bayshore Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2985 S Bayshore Dr, Miami FL 33133, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Housekeepers-Womans Club of Coconut Grove (here, next to this marker); Coconut Grove Library (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Coconut Grove Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barnacle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coconut Grove Playhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); NAS Miami Pan Am Seaplane Base (approx. 0.3 miles away); E.W.F. Stirrup House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Charles Avenue (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miami.
Also see . . .
1. Housekeepers Club of Coconut Grove. City of Miami Planning Department. (Submitted on July 9, 2014.)
2. Woman's Club of Coconut Grove History. (Submitted on July 9, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 8, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.