The Buttery Elevators
The Passing of a 19th-Century Landmark
In 1889, the family formed the Whirlpool Rapids Company, and in 1893, a new longer shaft with double elevator cars was built. The company also erected an electric plant to light a park, the elevators, and the rapids. To attract even more visitors, the company petitioned for an extension of the Niagara Falls Street Railway to its property. Eventually, the property was sold to the Gorge Railroad. In 1899, a windstorm blew down the original elevator building, and a rockslide almost completely destroyed the machinery in the newer elevator building. In 1901, the city of Niagara Falls burned them in a controlled fire.
J. M. Buttery
Whirlpool Rapids and Double Elevator on American Side. Most charming and Delightful Spot about Niagara. Grand View of the old Suspension Bridge. Hero Blondin crossed the gorge on a rope, and past here Robinson, in 1861, piloted the steamer "maid of the Mist" through the boiling rapids. Grandest View of Rapids and Gorge. the fearful current forces the water in the centre of the stream forty feet higher than at the edges. Don't fail to visit the spot. M. Buttery Sons. The Daily Gazette, September 9, 1883.
You are standing near the site of the Buttery Elevators. Chasm Avenue, which now stops at Whirlpool Street, at one time ran to the edge of the gorge. This map shows the Niagara Falls Street Railway terminating at the Buttery Elevators.
The Buttery Whirlpool Rapids Company successfully petitioned for the extension of the railway, which included construction of a tunnel and the extension of Spring Avenue from Bellvue Avenue to Chasm Avenue. Courtesy of the Niagara Falls Public Library.
Born in Roxbury, Vermont, in 1813, Priscilla and her family moved to Western New York in 1816, eventually settling on a farm
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Environment • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 43° 6.822′ N, 79° 3.492′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Niagara Scenic Parkway (New York State Route 957A) half a mile south of Whirlpool State Park. Marker is along the bikeway/walkway of the Niagara Scenic Parkway. The bikeway/walkway used to be the southbound vehicle lanes. Until 2016, the parkway held its original name, the Robert Moses Parkway. Effective November 2018, the parkway south of Findlay Drive to the Niagara Gorge Discovery Center is permanently closed. The parkway viaduct over the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge area is being removed. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara Falls NY 14303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Inukshuk (approx. 0.2 miles away in Canada); A Bridge to Freedom (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Great Gorge Railway Trail (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); To The River (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); About the year 1600 B.C. ... (approx. Whirlpool Rapids (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Eddy Basin (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Welcome to Whirlpool State Park (approx. 0.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
More about this marker. To avoid the half mile walk south from Whirlpool State Park to the marker, you may park on Whirlpool Street near Chasm Avenue and walk across the parkway to the marker.
Also see . . .
1. The Buttery Elevator - Niagara Frontier.com. (Submitted on July 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Niagara Scenic Parkway - Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 800 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.