Near St. Peter in Nicollet County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Rush for Land
Here, between 1852 and 1855, several town sites were laid out for sale. The first outfit to offer land was the Traverse des Sioux Land Company, with politician Henry M. Rice as president. The land certificate pictured here, and many others, were printed before the U.S. government granted official permission to settle.
"Before that we really had no business to occupy these lands"
Edward Drew came to Minnesota in 1852 and settled in Winona County. He later recalled this time, when settlers were hungry for land and impatient with legalities: "I think it was along in June (1852) when we heard that the treaty with the Indians had been ratified by Congress.... It was a great relief. Before that we really had no business to occupy these lands. The Indians knew it very well and had (been) bothered a great deal."
Traverse des Sioux
Erected by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Topics and series. Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Minnesota Historical Society series list.
Location. 44° 21.102′ N, 93° 57.079′ W. Marker is near St. Peter, Minnesota, in Nicollet County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Minnesota Avenue (U.S. 169) and Dodd Avenue (State Highway 22), on the right when traveling north. Marker is along an interpretive trail that is adjacent to the Nicollet County Historical Society Treaty Site History Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1851 North Minnesota Avenue, Saint Peter MN 56082, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ministering to the Dakota (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fur Trader Louis Provencalle (about 400 feet away); Archaeology (about 400 feet away); Ecakensdonyapi (about 400 feet away); "Only a Memory Now" (about 700 feet away); Land-Seas (about 700 feet away); Welcome to Traverse des Sioux (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Minority in Their Homeland (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Peter.
More about this marker. captions:
• Traverse des Sioux Land Co. certificate, 1853
• Edwin Whitefield, Le Sueur, 1856
Also see . . .
1. Treaty of Traverse des Sioux(Submitted on July 10, 2014.)
2. Traverse des Sioux. History. Minnesota Historical Society. "For thousands of years, Traverse des Sioux was a crossroads and meeting place.... The town of Traverse des Sioux soon grew up around the site with more than 70 buildings, including five taverns, two hotels and several churches. In 1856, however, nearby St. Peter was chosen as the county seat and by the late 1860s, nothing was left of the once-booming town of Traverse des Sioux." (Submitted on July 10, 2014.)
3. Nicollet County Historical Society. Traverse des Sioux. The Dakota Indians called this place Oiyuwege, meaning "the place of crossing." French explorers called it Traverse des Sioux, or "crossing place of the Sioux." (Submitted on July 10, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 334 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.