Exeter in Rockingham County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Brigadier General Enoch Poor
Erected 1979 by NH Division of Historical Resources and the NH Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 131.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1971.
Location. 42° 59.377′ N, 70° 56.955′ W. Marker is in Exeter, New Hampshire, in Rockingham County. Marker is on Newfields Road (New Hampshire Route 85), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Exeter NH 03833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Powder House (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Powder HouseExeter NH Exeter Gas Works (approx. half a mile away); Second Burial Ground (approx. half a mile away); Ladd-Gilman House (approx. half a mile away); Site of the First Mill At Falls of the Squamscott River (approx. 0.6 miles away); Abraham Lincoln Speaks in New Hampshire (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Folsom Tavern (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Exeter.
Regarding Brigadier General Enoch Poor. Whether this prominent patriot and Revolutionary War general died as the result of a fever or a duel is a matter of dispute. Also, most sources give his date of death as September 8, 1780 (not 1781).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Brief biography. War record of Enoch Poor. (Submitted on March 24, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,119 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on July 10, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2011, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.