Bay View's Rolling Mill
By 1885, more than 1500 people were employed at the plant, some recruited from the iron-producing districts of the British Isles, and the village of Bay View grew from a rural crossroads to an industrial community surrounding the rolling mill.
On May 5, 1886, the mill was the scene of a major labor disturbance. Nearly 1500 strikers from around Milwaukee marched on the Bay View mill to dramatize their demand for an eight-hour work day. The local militia, called to the scene by Governor Jeremiah Rusk, fired on the crowd, killing seven people.
The mill closed in 1929, and the buildings were demolished a decade later. But the community of Bay View remains: a neighborhood of mill workers houses, shops and churches.
Erected 1985 by
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Labor Unions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list.
Location. 42° 59.967′ N, 87° 53.38′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of East Russell Avenue and South Superior Street, on the right when traveling west on East Russell Avenue. Located on the northeast corner of South Superior and East Russell. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bay View’s Immigrants (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Josaphat Basilica (approx. 1˝ miles away); Saint Stephen Lutheran Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Lake Protestant Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Holy Trinity - Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hansen Storage Co. Warehouse #2 (approx. 2.2 miles away); Carferry SS Milwaukee (approx. 2.3 miles away); Marine Terminal Building (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on July 18, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.