Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Franklin Street “Colored” School 1884-1932
On this corner stood the only building built for the sole purpose of educating the Colored children of the Borough of Gettysburg. In 1834 Pennsylvania mandated public education. On September 19, 1934, citizens of Gettysburg met and chose six persons to serve as school directors. Thaddeus Stevens, a civil rights activist and legislator, served as director. It is believed that Mr. Stevens’ position as a director influenced the decision to establish a school for the instruction exclusively of the Colored children of the borough.
From 1834-1884, school was held approximately four months of the year in various rooms in the Colored community including the AME and AME Zion Churches. Lloyd F. A. Watts (Colored) taught for 16 years prior to the building of the Franklin Street School in 1883. In 1884 Mrs. Sally M. Stewart was chosen to be the teacher in the newly built school.
A number of female teachers, Black and White, taught from 1900-1924 when Mrs. Elsie B. Wolf became the teacher until the school closed for economic reasons in 1932. Schools were then totally integrated.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these African Americans • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ⛪, and the African Methodist Episcopal Zion (AME Zion) Church ⛪ series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1892.
Location. 39° 49.717′ N, 77° 14.104′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of W High Street and S Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west on W High Street. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Agricultural Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stevens Log House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); “… the battle itself proved a relief.” (about 500 feet away); The "Jack" Hopkins House (about 500 feet away); "…run home as quickly as you can." (about 600 feet away); First Home of Seminary and College (about 600 feet away); "…what in your life you will never see again."St. Paul's A.M.E. Zion Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker contains a photograph of the Franklin School Class of 1916-1917 with teacher Amanda E. Lewis (Myers), courtesy of Betty Myers.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.