Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntington in Huntington County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Rock House

 
 
Rock House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, April 24, 2008
1. Rock House Marker
Inscription.  The first permanent hotel of Huntington was built of stone on this site by General John Tipton in 1835. Standing on the bank of the Wabash and Erie Canal, it was a commercial, political and social center. From 1862 to 1872 it housed one of the first public schools and was destroyed in 1873.
 
Erected 1925 by the Huntington Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), and the Wabash & Erie Canal series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 40° 53.035′ N, 85° 29.738′ W. Marker is in Huntington, Indiana, in Huntington County. Marker is at the intersection of East Park Drive (U.S. 224) and Warren on East Park Drive. This marker is located on the south wall of the building in the NW corner. The Burk's Lock marker is on the SE corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntington IN 46750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Rock House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Light, April 24, 2008
2. Rock House Marker
The current structure is a service center for the Huntington Public Schools.
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker. Burk's Lock (within shouting distance of this marker); Canal Landing on Washington Street / Jefferson Park Mall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Plat Historic District (about 600 feet away); Huntington High School / General James R. Slack 1818 - 1881 (about 700 feet away); Moore-Carlew Building (about 700 feet away); Huntington County Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Otto U. King, 1873-1951 / Otto U. King, D.D.S, F.A.C.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Huntington County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,599 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2008, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7547

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022