Plymouth in Marshall County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Historic Crossroads of America / The Lincoln Highway
Historic Crossroads of America
Marshall County has been called the Crossroads of America. The Lincoln Highway (the Lincoln’s second alignment constructed in the mid-1920s), the Michigan Road (Indiana’s first state commissioned road established in 1829), later a portion was designated as the Dixie Highway that ran from Sault Ste Marie, Michigan to Miami Beach, Florida, the Grand Army of the Republic Highway (U.S. 6) and the Yellowstone Trail were all routed through Marshall County.
The second alignment (1928) of the Lincoln Highway across Indiana was fully decided except for the path it would take through the city of Plymouth. Ultimately the state told Marshall County officials if they could not decide, the route would be decided for them. Several meetings followed until the night before the deadline and in a packed chambers at the high school, two sides presented their cases for their preferred path. The City and downtown business-owners lobbied for a downtown route, while others preferred Jefferson Street. If the Jefferson Street route was chose, a new bridge would be needed over the
Time Line of the Lincoln Highway
1913 Lincoln Highway Association was formed by Carl G. Fisher of Indianapolis & a coast-to-coast route was announced.
1914 The first seedling mile was completed just west of Malta, Illinois.
1919 A U.S. military convoy travels the Lincoln Highway with Lt. Dwight D. Eisenhower.
1922-23 The Ideal Section was built between Schererville and Dyer, Indiana, as a model for the nation’s roads.
1926-28 The Lincoln Highway was shortened across Indiana establishing the route from Fort Wayne to Valparaiso through Plymouth.
1928 Concrete markers were placed coast-to-coast by the Boy Scouts of America to honor Abraham Lincoln.
1966 The 1928 Lincoln Highway (then designated U.S. 30) is bypassed through Marshall County for current four-lane U.S. 30.
1992 The Lincoln Highway Association was reestablished to preserve and promote the
The Lincoln Highway
Once called the Main Street across America, the idea for the Lincoln Highway began on September 10, 1912, when a group of industrialists led by Carl. G. Fisher of Indianapolis Motor Speedway fame, envisioned a continuous improved highway from the Atlantic to the Pacific. The road would be open to lawful traffic without toll charges and was to be a living memorial to President Abraham Lincoln. When the route was announced in 1913 the road stretched 3,389 miles and stitched together existing roadbeds. New road sections were built to demonstrate state-of-the-art concrete road construction methods. Local residents were asked to join the Lincoln Highway Association to show their support for this patriotic and private road building effort.
That highway still exists, and for many it holds an allure in much the same way that it did in its heyday during the 1920s and 1930s. Along the way tourists discovered towns such as New Carlisle, Rolling Prairie, Deep River, Valparaiso or Plymouth. Each town and city along the route has a unique story and culture making travel more interesting than that found on modern interstates. Although not a highway in contemporary terms, the Lincoln Highway crosses 13 states and stretches nearly 3,400 miles from Times Square in New York City to Lincoln Park,
This kiosk was funded in part by a grant from the Marshall County Community Foundation, Lincoln Highway Association and the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association.
For more information on the Lincoln Highway visit www.IndianaLincolnHighway.org or visit the Historic Crossroads Center of the Marshall County Museum located at 123 North Michigan Street, Plymouth.
Erected by Marshall County Community Foundation, Lincoln Highway Association, and Indiana Lincoln Highway Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln, the Former U.S. Presidents: #34 Dwight D. Eisenhower, and the Lincoln Highway series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is September 2006.
Location. 41° 20.614′ N, 86° 18.433′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Indiana, in Marshall County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Jefferson Street and Cleveland Street, on the right when traveling east on E. Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth IN 46563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Honor Roll - Marshall County Indiana (approx. 0.2 miles away); Replica of The Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.2 miles away); Plymouth's First Fire AlarmFirst Meeting of Marshall County (approx. 1½ miles away); Taber Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Chief Menominee (approx. 4.4 miles away); Potawatomi Indian Village (approx. 4.4 miles away); Hindel Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Also see . . .
1. The Lincoln Highway Association. Official website of the Lincoln Highway Association. (Submitted on July 19, 2014.)
2. Indiana Lincoln Highway Byway. Official website of the Indiana Lincoln Highway Association. (Submitted on July 19, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 790 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 19, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.