It operated until 1809 and again from 1832-1884, concentrating on the manufacture of pig iron but also other products such as firebacks.
The first use of hot blast in the United States to manufacture iron was implemented her in 1835 by pioneer industrialist William Henry. Dr. William Shippen Sr., the sole owner from 1766 to 1801, was a Pennsylvania delegate to the Continental Congress.
The nearby manor house was constructed by Dr. Shippen circa 1766-70 as the iron master's residence and business office.
Erected 2013 by Erected by the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New Jersey.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era
Location. 40° 48.214′ N, 74° 59.855′ W. Marker is in Oxford, New Jersey, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Ave. and Cinder Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Ave.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford NJ 07863, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oxford Furnace #1 (here, next to this marker); Grist Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Foundry (within shouting distance of this marker); Shippen Manor (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Shippen Manor (within shouting distance of this marker); Company Store (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oxford Furnace Memorial (about 600 feet away); Oxford House / Wall Street (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2014, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2014, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.