Saint-André-d'Argenteuil in Argenteuil MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
French text appears above English text.
Designed and constructed by the Royal Engineers. Commenced in 1826, completed in 1833, enlarged from 1871 to 1882. One of the canals which, by way of the St. Lawrence and the Ottawa, Rideau, and Cataraqui rivers, connect Montreal with Ottawa and Kingston.
Erected 1931 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 45° 34.059′ N, 74° 22.54′ W. Marker is in Saint-André-d'Argenteuil, Quebec, in Argenteuil MRC. Marker is at the intersection of du Long-Sault Street (Quebec Route 344) and du Parc Street, on the right when traveling west on du Long-Sault Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint-André-d'Argenteuil, Quebec J0V 1X0, Canada. Touch for directions.
More about this marker. Marker is located across the street from the now-defunct canal and a stone's throw from the modern locks which allow boats to circumnavigate the Carillon Dam and hydro-electric generating station, of which tours are offered.
Also see . . . National Historic Site - Carillon Canal. (Submitted on July 25, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Carillon Canal.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.