Michigan City in LaPorte County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Michigan City Lighthouse
This lighthouse built in 1858 replaced 1837 lighthouse built at water's edge. Remodeled in 1904. Light placed at end of pier. Seven keepers and fourteen assistant keepers served here 1837-1940.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 41° 43.38′ N, 86° 54.357′ W. Marker is in Michigan City, Indiana, in LaPorte County. Marker can be reached from Lake Shore Drive, 0.1 miles west of Franklin Street. Marker is located on the grounds of the Michigan City Old Lighthouse Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Washington Street, Michigan City IN 46360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. S S Eastland Disaster (here, next to this marker); Michigan City Spanish War Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Michigan City GAR Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Roger J. McKee Memorial Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Millennium Plaza (about 300 feet Washington Park Historic District (about 300 feet away); Michigan City Civil War Monument (about 300 feet away); Private First Class Daniel D. Bruce (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Michigan City.
More about this marker. Although the marker is similar in shape, design, and color, it is not an Indiana state historical marker.
Regarding Michigan City Lighthouse. The Michigan City Lighthouse was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on November 5, 1974.
Also see . . . Old Lighthouse Museum. Michigan City - Laport website entry (Submitted on April 16, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
1. Marker History
According to the LaPorte County Historical Society, the marker was originally dedicated in 1966 and replaced on Memorial Day in 1983. The original description on the marker was: "Built on the water's edge, 1858 by the United States Government. One of the first lights on the Great Lakes. Harriet E. Colfax was the tender from 1853 to 1904. Remodeled 1904, electrified 1933, discontinued 1960."
— Submitted July 28, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.