Rincon in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Town of Ebenezer
A thriving town at the beginning of the Revolution, Ebenezer was fortified by the Continentals in 1776. On January 2, 1779, it was captured by Colonel Archibald Campbell, and occupied by the British until early in 1782. During this time the people of Ebenezer were exposed to every hardship. The town was again fortified by earthworks, its handsome brick Jerusalem Church was used first as a hospital for sick and wounded soldiers, later as a stable for cavalry horses. Ebenezer became a thoroughfare for British troops passing from Augusta to Savannah.
On the first Tuesday in July, 1782, as the town was once more in the hands of the Continentals and the headquarters of General Anthony Wayne, the Georgia legislature assembled there, and Ebenezer became for a short time the actual Capital of Georgia. February 16, 1796, Ebenezer was made the County Seat of Effingham, and so served until 1799, when the Courts were
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 051-12.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 32° 22.575′ N, 81° 10.878′ W. Marker is in Rincon, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is on Ebenezer Road (County Route 275), on the right when traveling north. Located on the grounds of Ebenezer Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2966 Ebenezer Road, Rincon GA 31326, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Adam Treutlen (a few steps from this marker); Silk Culture at Ebenezer (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rev. John Martin Bolzius -The Rev. Israel Christian Gronau (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); March to the Sea: Ebenezer Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Salzburgers (approx. ¼ mile away); Old River Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Historic Taverns on this Road (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rincon.
Also see . . .
1. Ebenezer, Georgia. After the British (Submitted on May 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. The Georgia Salzburgers. In 1732, the trustees of the Colony of Georgia invited the Salzburgers, protestants whom were expelled from their home lands in present day Austria. The refugees constructed, among other things, the first saw mill in Georgia. (Submitted on May 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,327 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on December 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.