Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas in the Civil War
When Texas joined the Confederacy in 1861, some men disagreed. Mainly these were from foreign countries or the North, or did not uphold states’ rights. Some of them left here and joined northern army units.
Others joined Federal forces near home. A 1st Texas Cavalry (Union), made up of 310 men in 8 companies, was organized by a Texan, Col. E.J. Davis, across the Rio Grande, in Mexico. Nucleus of 2nd Texas Cavalry (Union) was formed in New Orleans, adding men in Louisiana and Mexico until it had 4 companies. They merged 1864 into 1st Texas Volunteer Cavalry (Union).
Individual Texas prisoners of war obtained freedom by becoming “galvanized Yankees” – men coating over their old opinions with blue uniforms. These fought Indians on frontiers, not old Confederate comrades. However, Texans in the Federal Army sometimes were in battle against old neighbors, or even their own relatives, in Red River campaigns in Louisiana, on the coast, and in south and west Texas.
On each side by turns were enlisted the partisan Rangers of A.J. Vidal – deserting the Confederates in 1863, the Federals and the
Federal soldiers from Texas were a small minority because 90,000 Texans fought for the Confederacy.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6464.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 30° 18.842′ N, 97° 45.643′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from General Mabry Drive north of West 35th Street, on the left when traveling north. This marker is located in front of the Texas Military Forces Museum inside Camp Mabry. It is next to the Adjutants General Marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2210 West 35th Street, Austin TX 78703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adjutants General (here, next to this marker); Camp Mabry Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Major John B. Jones (approx. ¼ mile away); William Steele (approx. ¼ mile away); Camp Mabry (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Radkey House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lilia and Josephine Casis (approx. 0.7 miles away); Laguna Gloria (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,106 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on August 2, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 21, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 2, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.