Pittsford in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
The Vermont Sanatorium
The Colonial revival building, designed by Scopes & Feustmann of Saranac Lake, NY, was constructed and endowed by Redfield Proctor and his family as a private pay institution for the treatment of Tuberculosis. Completed in 1907, the center building was for Administration with an infirmary, staff quarters, and public areas. To the southwest, connected by a glass enclosed loggia, was the West Cottage for men. To the southeast, also connected by a glass enclosed loggia, was the East Cottage for women. A northwest wing for additional patients was added in 1930.
Early 20th century treatment for Tuberculosis was bed rest, fresh air, out-door sleeping, a good diet, sunshine and ultra-violet lamps. Some patients had surgical procedures. The building capacity was 44 patients but often housed more. In 1921 the Board of Trustees donated the Sanatorium, its endowment and all property to the State of Vermont. Medical Directors of the Sanatorium were: Dr. H.D. Chadwick 1907-13; Dr. Edw. J. Rogers 1913-47; Dr. Louis Benson 1947-1966. The Sanatorium closed in 1966 and the building reopened in
Erected 2007 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 43° 42.773′ N, 73° 0.887′ W. Marker is in Pittsford, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is at the intersection of Academy Road and Furnace Road, on the right when traveling north on Academy Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsford VT 05763, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kendrick Dam, Pond, Mill, and Ice House (approx. ¾ mile away); Pittsford's Iron Industry (approx. ¾ mile away); Hammond Covered Bridge (approx. 2 miles away); Fort Vengeance (approx. 2.9 miles away); Vermont Marble Company (approx. 3.6 miles away); Proctor (VT) War Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); John Sunderland (approx. 3.7 miles away); Otter Creek (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsford.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 5. submitted on May 21, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.