Leland in Leelanau County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Leland Historical District (Fishtown)
This commercial fishing district has provided a livelihood for residents of the town for over a century. Fishermen reached the fishing grounds of Lake Michigan by way of the Leland River (Carp River) using small sailboats until the introduction of primitive gas powered oak boats around 1900. Small fishing shanties and related buildings such as ice and smoke houses were constructed during the peak years of the industry which spanned the first three decades of the twentieth century. Now gray and weather-beaten, some still serve their original purpose. Other buildings in the district date back to Leland's lumbering and iron smelting era in the latter half of the nineteenth century. Leland continues to be a commercial fishing area as well as the headquarters for transportation to the Manitou Islands.
Erected 1977 by Michigan History division, Department of state. (Marker Number 407.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 45° 1.404′ N, 85° 45.683′ W. Marker is in Leland, Michigan, in Leelanau County. Marker is on W. River St west of Main Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 195, Leland MI 49654, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); St. Wenceslaus Church and Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Bahle's (approx. 6.3 miles away); North Unity (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Fishtown Preservation. Website homepage (Submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Fishtown's Shanties. Fishtown Preservation website entry (Submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2014, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2014, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 29, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.