Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lincolnville in St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
MISSING
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

64 Washington Street

ACCORD Freedom Trail

 
 
64 Washington Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brandon D Cross, March 23, 2019
1. 64 Washington Street Marker
Inscription.  64 Washington Street was the Florida State Headquarters of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) during and after the civil rights demonstrations of 1964. SCLC was founded in 1957 by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. after the successful Montgomery Bus Boycott of 1955-56. The first executive director of SCLC was a former St. Augustinian, Dr. John Tilley (1898-1971). He had lived here while serving as president of Florida Normal (later Florida Memorial) College in the 1940s. In charge of the SCLC office here was Mrs. Loucille Plummer (pictured), a nurse who had lost her job because of her civil rights activities.

The building at 64 Washington Street also housed the Roayl Palm Barber Shop of Ernest Wells, one of the civil rights pioneers of St. Augustine, as well as a grocery store operated by Chris Lightburn, the celebrated alligator wrestler who was a co-founder, with jazz musician Doug Carn, of the annual Lincolnville Festival in 1979.

This Historical Marker Presented this 2nd Day of July, 2007 by Northrop Grumman
 
Erected 2007 by The 40th Anniversary to Commemorate the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Civil Rights Demonstrations, Inc. (ACCORD).
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCivil RightsEducationIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Florida, St. Augustine Freedom Trail, and the Martin Luther King, Jr. series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is July 2007.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 29° 53.322′ N, 81° 18.815′ W. Marker was in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. It was in Lincolnville. Marker was on Washington Street. This marker is directly in front of Historic St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 64 Washington Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. St. Mary's Missionary Baptist (a few steps from this marker); 76 Washington Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 79 Bridge Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 81 Bridge Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 84 Bridge Street (about 300 feet away); Record Building (Cordova Apartments) (about 300 feet away); Canova-Dow and Canova-de Medicis Houses
64 Washington Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gwendolyn Duncan, September 11, 2007
2. 64 Washington Street Marker
(about 500 feet away); The Oldest Presbyterian Church in Florida (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Also see . . .  ACCORD Freedom Trail website. (Submitted on May 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Additional keywords. St. Augustine Freedom Trail
 
64 Washington Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mrs. Shirley Williams-Galvin
3. 64 Washington Street Marker
64 Washington Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James R. Murray, May 20, 2014
4. 64 Washington Street
The building as it appears today- It has been repurposed as the "House of Hope" Mission.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida. This page has been viewed 3,248 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 23, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.   2. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida.   3. submitted on May 7, 2008, by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida.   4. submitted on May 21, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7607

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024