Willmar in Kandiyohi County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
An Idealized Statue Typifying the Meaning of the Word
This Indian image first became part of Willmar in 1915, when it appeared as the Kandiyohi County Bank symbol. That same year, artist Eben E. Lawson, commissioned by the bank, created "Kandiyohi," a smaller sculpture which was the basis for this larger statue.
In 1929, "Chief Kandiyohi" (a nickname the Indian symbol received, although there never really was a chief by that name) found a home with the Bank of Willmar following several bank mergers.
Bank of Willmar President Norman Tallakson contracted to have this 17-foot statue made in 1956. It was mounted on the bank overlooking Litchfield Avenue for 27 years.
On July 25, 1983, the statue was moved to this site, after it was donated to the City of Willmar and Kandiyohi County by First American Bank and Trust of Willmar.
Erected 1985 by the Kandiyohi County Historical Society; the First American Bank and Trust of Willmar.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Native Americans. A significant historical date for this entry is July 25, 1830.
Location. 45° 7.201′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 Becker Avenue Southwest, Willmar MN 56201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kandiyohi County Indian History (here, next to this marker); Geology of the Willmar Region (approx. half a mile away); Veterans War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Great Northern Railway Engine No. 2523 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Robbins Island (approx. one mile away); C.C.C. Worker (approx. 1˝ miles away); Veteran's Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Haugen Homestead (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Willmar.
More about this marker. The marker has the Historic Site seal of the Kandiyohi County Historical Society · 1895.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 13, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.