Helena in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
At a crossroads, one mile south of Helena, a post office called Cove was established in 1849 and renamed Hillsboro in 1857. During the Civil War the South & North Railroad (the Louisville & Nashville Railroad) was constructed to just north of Hillsboro on Buck Creek to facilitate the shipping of coal and iron from nearby mines and iron works. The construction engineer, Peter Boyle, married Helen Lee, the daughter of early settler Needham Lee Jr., and named the railhead Helena Station in honor of his wife. Union raiders, under Gen. J. H. Wilson, stormed through the area on March 29-30, 1865, destroying mines, mills and furnaces. The post office moved to Helena in 1872 following the post-war revival of industry. The town was surveyed into lots and streets by mining engineer Joseph Squire in 1875 and incorporated in 1877 with M. H. Williams as mayor.
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Helena.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1892.
Location. 33° 17.698′ N, 86° 50.612′ W. Marker is in Helena, Alabama, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Helena Road (State Road 261) and 1st Avenue East, on the right when traveling north on Helena RoadTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5260 Helena Road, Helena AL 35080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Central Iron Works (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Helena Freight House & Depot (about 600 feet away); Harmony Graveyard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shelbyville, A. T. (approx. 2 miles away); Brock’s Gap / Historic Gateway To Birmingham (approx. 3˝ miles away); Cedar Grove Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Founding of Alabaster / Siluria (approx. 4˝ miles away); David Lindsay (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helena.
Also see . . .
1. History of City of Helena. (Submitted on August 14, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Eureka No. 4 Mine. (Submitted on August 14, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 986 times since then and 135 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 14, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.