Pelham in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Pelham, Alabama / Ballantrae Golf Course
Pelham, located in Shelby County, Alabama, acquired its name in approximately 1867. It was named for “Gallant Pelham” who fought in the Confederate Army and was killed in action at Kelly’s Ford, Virginia on March 17, 1863 at the young age of 24. Major John Pelham gallantly fought and protected the Confederacy Prison Camp located at Cahawba. The town was officially incorporated on July 10, 1964, at which time it has a population of 654. Through the 1990s, Pelham’s population grew by approximately 47 percent and the Pelham Public Library, Pelham Civic Complex and a historic cemetery were all under the operation of the City of Pelham. As of 2010 the population of Pelham was nearly 20,000.
Ballantrae, a very small town in Scotland is best known as the traditional gathering place for the Scottish clan. Golf began in Scotland. Thousands of miles from Scotland, Pelham, Alabama’s Ballantrae community evoked images of the Old World through its architecture when it was designed
Erected 2010 by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Pelham.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Settlements & Settlers • Sports • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 15.601′ N, 86° 45.332′ W. Marker is in Pelham, Alabama, in Shelby County. Marker is on Ballantrae Club Drive 0.1 miles east of Weatherly Club Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Ballantrae Club Drive, Pelham AL 35124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shelbyville, A. T. (approx. 3.7 miles away); Nabors Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Founding of Alabaster / Siluria (approx. 4½ miles away); Benton Family Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Harmony Graveyard (approx. 5.6 miles away); Helena, Alabama (approx. 5.6 miles away); Central Iron Works (approx. 5.6 miles away); Helena Freight House & Depot (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.