Helena in Shelby County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Helena Freight House & Depot
The South and North Alabama Railroad Company constructed the Helena Freight House & Depot about 1872 while repairing damage inflicted by Union raiders in 1865. The original location of the structure was just north of the present railroad crossing. When a new depot was constructed around 1905, the building was moved by C.T. “Tom” Davidson to a site behind his house where he used it for storage and a work shop.
From 1872 to 1905, this building served as the hub of activity for the area. Most goods and people arriving or departing Helena passed through this depot. It is one of the oldest structures remaining in town surviving the disasterous 1895 fire, the tragic 1933 tornado and numerous floods. It was moved to its present site in March 1999.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 17.796′ N, 86° 50.579′ W. Marker is in Helena, Alabama, in Shelby County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Lake Davidson Lane, Helena AL 35080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Central Iron Works (a few steps from this marker); Helena, Alabama (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harmony Graveyard (approx. half a mile away); Shelbyville, A. T. (approx. 2 miles away); Brock’s Gap / Historic Gateway To Birmingham (approx. 3.4 miles away); Cedar Grove Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); The Founding of Alabaster / Siluria (approx. 4.6 miles away); David Lindsay Historical Cemetery Site (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helena.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 474 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.