Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rincon in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church

»— 6 mi.—→

 
 
Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 2008
1. Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1767- 69 by Lutheran Protestants who came to Georgia in 1734 after being exiled from Catholic Salzburg in Europe, the church is officially name Jerusalem Church. It stands on the site of a wooden building probably erected soon after the congregation moved from Old Ebenezer to New Ebenezer in 1738. During the Revolution the British used the Church as a hospital and stable and the metal swan on the belfry still bears a bullet hole. Though the town of Ebenezer no longer exists the Church has an active congregation of about 450 members.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 051-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1734.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 32° 20.137′ N, 81° 15.437′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker was in Rincon, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker was at the intersection of Ga 21 and Ga 275, on the right when traveling west on Ga 21. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Rincon GA 31326, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Old Ebenezer (approx. one mile away); Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 3 miles away); Sherman's Left Wing (approx. 3.7 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Effingham County Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Effingham County (approx. 4.3 miles away); Springfield Central High School (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Salzburgers (approx. 5.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Jerusalem Lutheran Church. The first Sunday School in Georgia was held in 1734 (Submitted on May 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Marker at GA 21 between Rincon and Springfield at GA 275 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Marker at GA 21 between Rincon and Springfield at GA 275
Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church
Notice the swan, copied from the coat-of-arms of Martin Luther, topping the belfry tower.
Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
4. Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church
John Adam Treutlen Marker at right, and Town of Ebenezer with Silk Culture Markers at Left
Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, April 26, 2008
5. Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church
Ebenezer Cemetery nearby image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
6. Ebenezer Cemetery nearby
Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church Vane with the bullet hole, as mentioned image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
7. Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church Vane with the bullet hole, as mentioned
Swan with the mentioned bullet hole image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
8. Swan with the mentioned bullet hole
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,981 times since then and 141 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   7, 8. submitted on December 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7629

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024