Village in Richmond County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Richmond County / Northumberland County
Area 204 Square Miles
Formed in 1692 from Old Rappahannock County, and named for the town of Richmond, Surrey, England. Sabine Hall and Mount Airy, noted old homes, are in this county.
Area 205 Square Miles
Originally an Indian District called Chickacoan. In 1648 it became Northumberland County, named for an English county. The mouth of the Potomac River is here.
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-2.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 56.947′ N, 76° 36.332′ W. Marker is in Village, Virginia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Richmond Road (U.S. 360) and Normans Corner Road (Virginia Route 617), on the left when traveling east on Richmond Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farnham VA 22460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the The Rev. Paymus Nutt (approx. 1.8 miles away); Chambers Stamp Factory (approx. 2˝ miles away); British Attacks at Kinsale and Muddy Point / The War of 1812 (approx. 3.8 miles away); The War of 1812 / British Attacks at Kinsale and Mundy Point (approx. 3.8 miles away); Northumberland County / Westmoreland County (approx. 4.2 miles away); Cherry Point and Cowart’s Wharf (approx. 4.4 miles away); North Farnham Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Holley Graded School (approx. 4.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 21, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.