Wabash in Wabash County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In the spring of 1827, the Samuel McClure Sr. family relocated from Ohio and lived a short time in the Council House. They are regarded as the first permanent settlers in Wabash County.
In 1830 the first post office in Wabash County was established in this building with David Burr as post master.
In 1832 David Burr utilized the Council House to award contracts for the construction of the Wabash and Erie Canal. In 1834 Mr. Burr and Hugh Hanna platted Wabash Town at this site.
For a short time in 1834, the Council House was used for a school.
Following the establishment of Wabash in 1834, David Burr and Hugh Hanna began holding meetings and strategy sessions in the building in an attempt to get Wabash designated as the county seat.
In 1835 Wabash won a close race with Lagro and was designated the county seat.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 40° 47.828′ N, 85° 48.937′ W. Marker is in Wabash, Indiana, in Wabash County. Marker can be reached from E. Market Street 0.2 miles from S. Allen Street. Marker is located in the northern part of Paradise Spring Park west of the parking lot; the above directions are to the driveway to the park’s northeast parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wabash IN 46992, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Treaty of 1826 Meeting Camp (a few steps from this marker); Storage Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Quarters of James B. Ray (a few steps from this marker); Quarters of Lewis Cass (a few steps from this marker); Quarters of Major General John Tipton (a few steps from this marker); Cook's Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Quarters of Captain Frederick R. Kintner (within shouting distance of this marker); The Big Four Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wabash.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.