Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Benjamin Beason's Crossing
of the Colorado River
March 19-26, 1836
of the Texas Army
under General Sam Houston,
who directed the retreat
from Gonzales to the San Jacinto
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 368.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 42.253′ N, 96° 32.117′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker can be reached from Walnut Street (U.S. 90) 0.2 miles west of Old U.S. 90, on the left when traveling west. Located in Beason's Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3614 US 90, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beason's (Beeson's) Crossing (a few steps from this marker); Columbus Waterworks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stage Lines Through Columbus (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (approx. ¼ mile away); District Court Tree (approx. ¼ mile away); Tumlinson Family (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stafford-Miller House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . .
1. Some History of Beason's Crossing. (Submitted on September 2, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. A Brief Bio of Benjamin Beason. (Submitted on September 2, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. Beason's Park on the Colorado. Lower Colorado River Authority (Submitted on September 3, 2014.)
Categories. • War, Texas Independence • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Benjamin Beason's Crossing.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 812 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.