Sidney in Cheyenne County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Sidney became a major strategic point on the Plains in the mid-1870s. With the discovery of gold in the Black Hills, the town of Sidney and the Fort became the major supply point. The trail to Fort Robinson and the Black Hills was of strategic importance during the Indian troubles of 1874-1877 in serving freight wagons and stage coaches. At the same time, Sidney was an important trail town and railhead in the picturesque cattle business of the Old West.
The last Indian alarm at Fort Sidney was the most dramatic. In 1878 the Cheyenne, under Dull Knife, broke from their reservation in Oklahoma and staged an epic flight across Kansas and Nebraska. A special train was kept ready at Sidney to be rushed either way to intercept the Indians when they came to the Union Pacific.
Erected by Sidney Kiwanis Club and Historical Land Mark Council. (Marker Number 16.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1942.
Location. 41° 8.693′ N, 102° 58.153′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Nebraska, in Cheyenne County. Marker is at the intersection of Illinois Street (aka Lincoln Highway) (U.S. 30) and Ball Street, on the right when traveling east on Illinois Street (aka Lincoln Highway). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sidney NE 69162, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hickory Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Discovery Oil Well - Marathon Oil Company (approx. 8 miles away); Sioux Army Depot (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Fort Sidney - Fortwiki. Fort Sidney (1867-1894) - First established in 1867 at Sidney, Nebraska, by Captain Bernard P. Mimmack, 30th Infantry, as Sidney Barracks, a sub post of Fort Sedgwick in Colorado. The post became independent in 1870. Renamed Fort Sidney, 30 Dec 1878, after Sidney Dillon, New York attorney for the Union Pacific Railroad. Abandoned in 1894. (Submitted on September 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.