Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
to Fort Stephenson / to Fort Meigs
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail
— Harrison's March 1813 —
Text on East Side :
- - - - -
Text on West Side :
- - - - -
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number A124.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Roads & Vehicles • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 33.366′ N, 83° 38.489′ W. Marker was in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker was at the intersection of West Front Street (Ohio Route 65) and West Boundary Street (Ohio Route 25), on the right when traveling west on West Front Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 564 West Front Street, Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Meigs Union Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Interior Earthworks (approx. 0.4 miles away); Discipline (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Siege (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Indian Wars (approx. half a mile away); Maumee Rapids (approx. half a mile away); Blockhouses (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type A) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers. This particular marker is one of the type A markers of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series.
Originally, back in 1930, according to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report, there were erected 168 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type A, markers (see page 54). To date, I know of only 3 of these type A markers that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database (markers A95, A96, and A1340). A large number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, A124, which is listed on page 66 of the 1931, Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's Planning Report.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state (Submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio. (Submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System
This particular Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (ORMC), Type A marker, once helped to mark the military marches of General Harrison during the War of 1812. According to the ORMC 1931 Planning Report (see page 66), it was used on the portion of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System that connected Fort Meigs to Fremont. According to the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trails cartographic map, that was issued by the ORMC in 1930, this marker was situated along the roadway that both in 1930 and today, was, and is, US 20.
Back in 1930, when this marker was originally erected, this particular stretch of US 20 was most likely a two lane roadway, whereas today, an additional turning lane has been added, and the intersection has been broadened.
Along some portions of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System, it is difficult to
Originally State Route 65 had been routed right over the site of Fort Meigs and ran right through the middle of our present day Fort Meigs State Memorial park, however, sometime after 1930, it was re-routed around the Fort Meigs Cemetery, and the roadway was completely removed from the grounds of the Fort Meigs State Memorial park.
So today, the original ORMC trail that in 1930 followed West Front Street (old State Route 65) to the Fort Meigs State Memorial, no longer is capable of reaching its intended destination. The ORMC Trail comes up just short due to today's West Front Street coming to a dead end just a short distance in front of the reconstructed walls of Fort Meigs.
— Submitted April 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 476 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 28, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 29, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9. submitted on April 20, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.