James City in Craven County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Fort Caswell, built by N.C., 1775-76, to protect New Bern, renamed Fort Lane by Confederacy. Taken by U.S., Mar., 1862. ½ mi. E.
Erected 1965 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number C 25.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 35° 4.83′ N, 77° 1.752′ W. Marker is in James City, North Carolina, in Craven County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Cherry Point Road (County Route 1113) and Green Springs Road (County Route 1129), on the right when traveling north on Old Cherry Point Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Bern NC 28560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James City (approx. 0.4 miles away); Richard Dobbs Spaight (approx. 1.6 miles away); Battle of New Bern (approx. 1.7 miles away); USRC Diligence (approx. 1.7 miles away); U.S.C.G.C. PamlicoCaleb Bradham (approx. 1.9 miles away); First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish (approx. 1.9 miles away); Baron Christoph von Graffenried (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.