Old Bennington in Bennington County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Captain Samuel Robinson
Captain Samuel Robinson
built his first log cabin.
Captain Robinson was born in 1705, at Cambridge, Mass. came to Bennington in 1761 after much service in the frontier wars. He was a the head of his company in the Battle of Lake George. He died in London, England, October 27, 1767, while on a mission to the king in the interests of the people of New Hampshire grants.
his great great grandson
Samuel L. Robinson
as a tribute to the pioneers
and patriot, and his distinguished
sons, who rendered
great service to the state.
Erected 1923 by Samuel L. Robinson.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 53.165′ N, 73° 12.833′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32 Monument Avenue, Bennington VT 05201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Catamount Tavern - 1767 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bennington Battle Monument (about 500 feet away); Ethan Allen (about 700 feet away); Before the Battle Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vermont's Colonial Shrine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel Seth Warner (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Lloyd Garrison (approx. ¼ mile away); New Hampshire at the Battle of Bennington (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Old Bennington.
Also see . . . Samuel Robinson of Bennington, Vermont. He served for not less than three campaigns in the old French war, as Captain of a military company (1755-1759) in Col. Ruggles’s regiment of provincials and served as such on the frontier in 1755 and ‘56. He was at the head of his company in the battle of Lake George in September 1755, when the French were defeated. (Submitted on September 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 462 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.