Newport in Carteret County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bogue Sound Blockhouse
Vermonters' Spirited Resistance
In January 1864, Confederate Gen. James G. Martinís force of almost 2,000 men advanced from Wilmington toward Morehead City to support Gen. George E. Pickettís expedition to recapture New Bern, N.C. About noon on February 2, Martinís advance guard approached along the road from your right and prepared to attack the blockhouse, which was a short distance in the woods to your left. Confederate artillery opened fire on the blockhouse, covering Company A, 17th North Carolina Infantry, which was deployed as skirmishers to attack it. About 200 yards from the blockhouse, the Confederate skirmish line charged. Ballardís 62-man Vermont contained forty new recruits who had received their rifles only three hours earlier. After a spirited resistance, Ballardís men broke in disorder, abandoning the blockhouse
The earthwork remains of the blockhouse site, extant for more than a century, were demolished in the 1990s for a housing development.
(upper center) The Bogue Sound Blockhouse
(upper right) Attack on Bogue Sound Blockhouse, February 2, 1864.
(lower right) Gen. James G. Martin - Courtesy of N.C. State Archives; Lt. Alfred C. Ballard - Courtesy of the Vermont Historical Society
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 34° 44.044′ N, 76° 50.26′ W. Marker is in Newport, North Carolina, in Carteret County. Marker is at the intersection of McCabe Road and North Carolina Highway 24, on the left when traveling north on McCabe Road. The marker is located at the east entrance to Gethsemane Memorial Park. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. SS Pevensey (approx. 2.8 miles away); Newport Barracks (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named Newport Barracks (approx. 3.7 miles away); N.C. State Highway Patrol (approx. 4.8 miles away); Carolina City (approx. 4.8 miles away); Siege of Fort Macon (approx. 4.9 miles away); Camp Glenn (approx. 4.9 miles away); a different marker also named Carolina City (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 13, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.