Whitemarsh Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Birds of a Feather
Identifying raptors (birds of prey) in flight can be difficult. However, even novice hawk-watchers can figure out which family a raptor belongs to. Most raptors migrating past this hawk watch site fall into one of three families: buteos, accipiters or falcons. Each family has unique wing and tail characteristics that help the birds fly in a specific manner.
• Have long, broad wings, a chunky body and a short, fanned-out tail
• Soar for long periods without flapping their wings
• Includes the red-tailed hawk, broad-winged hawk and red-shouldered hawk
• Have long, pointed wings and a long, narrow tail
• Fly through constant, strong flapping
• Includes the American kestrel, merlin and peregrine falcon
• Have short, rounded wings and a long, narrow tail
• Move through a series of flaps and glides: flap-flap-flap-glide
• Includes the sharp-shinned hawk, cooper’s hawk and northern goshawk
Be a Raptor Ranger
Conduct your own hawk watch! Use your eagle eye to spot buteos, accipiters and
(left) Red-tailed hawk
(center) 1: Red-tailed Hawk; Broad-winged Hawk; Red-shouldered
(upper right) 2: Peregrine Falcon; American Kestrel; Merlin
(lower right) 3: Sharp-shinned Hawk; Cooper ’s Hawk; Northern Goshawk
Erected by iConservePA, DCNR, Hawk Mountain.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Environment.
Location. 40° 7.235′ N, 75° 13.357′ W. Marker is in Whitemarsh Township, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on State Park Road, 0.3 miles south of Militia Hill Road, on the left when traveling south. Located at the Militia Hill Hawk Observation Tower in Fort Washington State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 Militia Hill Road, Fort Washington PA 19034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. On the Wing (here, next to this marker); Is That an Eagle? (here, next to this marker); Helping Hands (a few steps from this marker); Hope Lodge (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Hope Lodge (approx. half a mile away); Fort Washington (approx. 0.8 miles away); Whitemarsh (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitemarsh Township.
Also see . . .
1. Militia Hill Hawk Watch. (Submitted on September 16, 2014.)
2. Hawk Mountain Sanctuary. (Submitted on September 16, 2014.)
3. Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. (Submitted on September 16, 2014.)
4. iconserve Pennsylvania. (Submitted on September 16, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.