Greenwood in Leflore County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Founded by John Williams as Williams Landing, 1834. Chartered as Greenwood, 1844. Since 1917 has been the world's largest long staple cotton market.
Erected 1965 by the Mississippi Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 33° 31.26′ N, 90° 11.047′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Mississippi, in Leflore County. Marker is at the intersection of Fulton Street and River Road, on the right when traveling south on Fulton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Fulton Street, Greenwood MS 38930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Point LeFlore (within shouting distance of this marker); LeFlore County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenwood Cotton Row District (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist ChurchWGRM Radio Studio (about 700 feet away); Battery 'C' (approx. ¼ mile away); Charles Edward Wright (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenwood's First Artesian Well (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.