Meridian in Lauderdale County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
A 20-room Neoclassical Revival mansion completed in 1904, the house began as a small cottage which served as headquarters for Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston in 1863. Merrehope is now a museum of local history.
Erected 1986 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 32° 21.989′ N, 88° 42.582′ W. Marker is in Meridian, Mississippi, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Junior Drive and 10th Street, on the left when traveling north on Martin Luther King Junior Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 905 Martin Luther King Junior Drive, Meridian MS 39301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Merrehope (a few steps from this marker); Dial House Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carnegie Branch Library for BlacksThe Impact of Churches (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wechsler School (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Wechsler School (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Union Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Temple Theater (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Meridian.
Regarding Merrehope. Also known as the J.H. Gary House.
Also see . . . History of the mansion. (Submitted on September 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.