Near Yazoo City in Yazoo County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Confederate Navy Yard
Established in 1862, the yard contained five saw and planing mills, machine shop, and carpenter and blacksmith shops. The ironclad ram Arkansas was launched here on July 14, 1862. Burned by direction of Lt. Isaac Brown, C.S.N., the yard was occupied on May 21, 1863, by Federal forces, who also seized the vessels Mobile and Republic.
Erected 1996 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1900.
Location. 32° 50.146′ N, 90° 26.032′ W. Marker is near Yazoo City, Mississippi, in Yazoo County. Marker is on South Industrial Parkway (State Highway 3) half a mile north of Levee Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22666 Mississippi 3, Yazoo City MS 39194, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. C.S.S. Arkansas (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Oakes HouseTommy McClennan (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bank of Yazoo City (approx. 1.4 miles away); B.S. Ricks Memorial Library (approx. 1.6 miles away); Town Creek (approx. 1.6 miles away); Yazoo County Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yazoo City.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.