St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1784, when the Spanish returned, the Minorcan settlers brought to Florida by the British stayed. Their descendants too remained in 1821, when Florida became American. Two Minorcan brothers, Joseph and Peter Antonio Manucy, owned the house in 1838, adding the second story and the balcony. Dona Catalina Llambias, whose name the structure bears, bought it in 1854 and she and her family owned it for 65 years.
The Carnegie Institution of Washington, aided by the St. Augustine Historical Society, purchased the Llambias House in 1938 and presented it in trust to the City. The structure was restored in 1952-54.
The Altrusa Club was named custodian of the property by the Board of Trustees in 1967. The house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970. The St. Augustine Historical Society purchased the adjoining corner lot in 1973 to protect the scenic integrity of the Fernandez-Llambias house.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic Americans • Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 53.272′ N, 81° 18.652′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on St Francis Street west of Charlotte Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 St Francis Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Llambias House (a few steps from this marker); Garcia-Dummett House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gonzalez-Alvarez House (within shouting distance of this marker); La Florida’s El Camino Real (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Augustine’s Oldest House (about 300 feet away); St. Francis Barracks (about 300 feet away); Four Centuries----Five Flags (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.