Floresville in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Town: Lodi
Stephen T. Cook settled here in 1858, putting in a store and securing office of postmaster. He may have named Lodi for a town in Mississippi, his old home state. Wilson County was organized in an election held Feb. 13, 1860. Samuel W. Barker (husband of local aristocrat Josefa Flores) became the first sheriff of the new county. Improved roads were built here.
After the Civil War, Wilson County voters on Dec. 8, 1867, designated
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4866.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 29° 8.113′ N, 98° 9.906′ W. Marker is in Floresville, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of Trail Street (Farm to Market Road 536) and Goliad Road, on the right when traveling south on Trail Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Floresville TX 78114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. White House Café and Saloon (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Floresville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Floresville United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Captain Will Wright (approx. half a mile away); The Flores de Abrego Family and Floresville (approx. half a mile away); Wilson County Jail (approx. half a mile away); Wilson County (approx. half a mile away); Wilson County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floresville.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Site of Old Town: Lodi.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.