Saint John in Saint John County, New Brunswick — The Atlantic Provinces
First Marine Compound Engine
La Première Machine Compound de Marine
The first vessel in the world propelled by a compound steam engine was the REINDEER launched for service on the Saint John, in 1845. Both the vessel and engine were designed by Benjamin Tibbets, a native of Queen’s County, New Brunswick. The engine was in service for more than fifty years
Le premier navire propulsé par une machine à vapeur compound fut le REINDEER, mis en service sur la rivière Saint-John en 1845. Le bateau et la machine avaient tous deux été conçus par Benjamin Tibbets, originaire du comté de Queen’s (Nouveau-Brunswick). Cette machine a servi pendant plus de cinquante années.
Erected 1928 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 16.3′ N, 66° 3.765′ W. Marker is in Saint John Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Peters Wharf, Saint John, New Brunswick E2L 0A1, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Steam Fog Horn (here, next to this marker); Prince William Streetscape / La Rue Prince William (within shouting distance of this marker); Scottish Strength (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Prince William Street - Before and After the 1877 Fire (about 120 meters away); A Legacy of Tea / Du thé en héritage (about 120 meters away); West meets East / L'ouest et l'est se rencontrent (about 120 meters away); The Landing of the Loyalists (about 120 meters away); Centerbeam Place (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint John.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.