Elk Park in Avery County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cranberry Iron Mine
Iron for the Confederacy
Forty to sixty men were employed at Cranberry during the war, mining ore and forging iron for the Confederacy. Once a month, the bar iron was loaded in a wagon, and Peter Hardin, a local slave, drove the wagon down the mountain to Camp Vance, near Morganton. There, the iron was loaded on a train and transported to foundries throughout the South that produced munitions for the war effort.
Following the war, the Cranberry mine property changed
(lower left) Bloomery forge, Frederick Overmann, The Manufacture of Iron (1850)
(upper right) Gen. Robert F. Hoke Courtesy Library of Congress; Jordan C. Hardin Courtesy Mike Hardin
Major funding for this project was provided by the North Carolina Department of Transportation through the Transportation Enhancement Program of the Federal Transportation Efficiency Act for the 21st Century.
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 36° 9.093′ N, 81° 57.786′ W. Marker is in Elk Park, North Carolina, in Avery County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Elk Park Highway (State Highway 194) and U.S. 19E, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located on the grounds of the Historic Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elk Park NC 28622, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cranberry Mines (within shouting distance of this marker); Lees-McRae College (approx. 5 miles away); Shepherd M. Dugger (approx. 5 miles away); Banner Elk (approx. 5.2 miles away); Overmountain Men (approx. 5.4 miles away); Peg Leg Iron Ore Mine (approx. 6.7 miles away in Tennessee); Yellow Mountain Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); A Woman of War (approx. 7½ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,036 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 26, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.