Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

4th Georgia Cavalry

Crew's Brigade

 

— Wharton's Division —

 
4th Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
1. 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker
Inscription.  
C.S.A.
Georgia.
4th Cavalry.
Colonel Isaac W. Avery.
Crew's Brigade.
Wharton's Division.
5:30 P.M. September, 20, 1863.

 
Erected 1898 by the State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1282.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
 
Location. 34° 52.269′ N, 85° 17.557′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Cove Road (Georgia Route 341) south of Gordon Street, on the left when traveling south. This historical monument is located in the downtown area, in front of a public park at Crawfish Springs, between the sidewalk and the roadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 2nd Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Confederate Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp George H. Thomas (within shouting distance
4th Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
2. 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument looking north along Cove Road.
of this marker); The Town of Lytle (within shouting distance of this marker); Sickness at Camp Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); North and South Reunited (within shouting distance of this marker); Crawfish Spring (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
 
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 5:30 p.m.”
 
4th Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
3. 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument looking south along Cove Road.
4th Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
4. 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument from across the street.
4th Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
5. 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument, from across the street, looking north along Cove Road.
4th Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
6. 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument, from across the street, looking south along Cove Road, with a view of the Crawfish Springs water tower in the distant background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021