St. Johnsbury in Caledonia County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
First American Platform Scale
After experimenting with new types of farm equipment, plows and stoves, Thaddeus Fairbanks invented the platform scale here in 1830. With his brothers Erastus and Joseph, he founded the company which still bears their name. Many St. Johnsbury public institutions were gifts of this talented family.
Erected 1949 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
Location. 44° 25.074′ N, 72° 1.67′ W. Marker is in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, in Caledonia County. Marker is at the intersection of Western Avenue (U.S. 2) and Mount Vernon Street, on the right when traveling east on Western Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Western Avenue, Saint Johnsbury VT 05819, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Johnsbury Trade School (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Johnsbury Athenaeum (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eugene Geno McDonough (approx. 0.3 miles away); St Johnsbury World War I Memorial (approx. St Johnsbury World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Court House Grounds & Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Parrot Gun No. 126 (approx. 0.4 miles away); St Johnsbury Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Johnsbury.
More about this marker. Marker is located in front of the Fairbanks Inn. It is identical to the marker located 2.5 miles away in front of the Fairbanks-Morse Platform Scale factory.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Thaddeus Fairbanks. (Submitted on October 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 1, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 2. submitted on August 27, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 3. submitted on April 24, 2018. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.