Halifax in Halifax Region, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
The Island was first fortified when the British founded Halifax in 1749. During the period of the Acadian Deportation, 1755 to 1762, the island was sometimes a detention camp for Acadians prior to being shipped to other British colonies. During the 19th century Halifax became a major British naval base and Georges Island one of an inter-connected system of harbour defences. As military technology changed, the defences of Georges Island were updated.
The island remained an important seaward defence after the Government of Canada took over the Halifax defences in 1906. Georges Island helped defend the harbour in both World Wars. The island became a national historic site in 1965.
L’île a d’abord été fortifiée au moment de la fondation d’Halifax par les Britanniques en 1749. Pendant le déportation des Acadiens, de 1755 à 1763, elle a servi, à l’occasion, de camp de détention pénible où un grand nombre d’Acadiens y étaient détenus avant d’être embarques dans des vaisseaux en direction d’autres colonies britanniques. Au XIXᵉ siècle, Halifax est devenu une importante base navale britannique
L’île Georges continua d’être une importante défense maritime après la prise de contrôle en 1906 des défenses d’Halifax par le gouvernement du Canada. L’ile a contribué à la defense du port au cours des deux guerres mondiales. L’île Georges a été classée lieu historique national en 1965.
Erected by Parks Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1749.
Location. 44° 38.67′ N, 63° 34.094′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Region. Marker can be reached from Lower Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax NS B3J, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pier 21 (within shouting distance of this marker); France and Canada (within shouting distance of this marker); Rotary Performance Platform & Lookoff/ Scéne et belvédère des clubs Rotary (within shouting distance of this marker); The Grand Dérangement (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); There Was Once a Very Special Ship (about 180 meters away); The Tall Ships Parade 2000 Lebanese Immigrants (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Black-Binney House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halifax.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the Halifax waterfront, north of Bishop's Landing.
Also see . . . Georges Island (Nova Scotia) - Wikipedia. Georges Island (named after George II of Great Britain) is a glacial drumlin and the largest island entirely within the harbour limits of Halifax Harbour located in Nova Scotia's Halifax Regional Municipality. The Island is the location of Fort Charlotte - named after King George's wife Charlotte. 'Fort Charlotte was built during Father Le Loutre's War, a year after Citadel Hill (Fort George). The island is now a National Historic Site of Canada. (Submitted on October 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.