Peacham in Caledonia County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Caledonia County Grammar School
Caledonia County was set out from Orange County in 1792. Peacham chose to provide a County grammar school rather than a courthouse. The Caledonia County Grammar School (Peacham Academy) was chartered in 1795, the third County grammar school in Vermont. Classes commenced in 1797. Thaddeus Stevens, abolitionist and Pennsylvania Representative to the US Congress, and George B.M. Harvey, Ambassador to Great Britain, were among the notable persons educated here. Over 3000 students from Peacham and other towns, states and countries attended Peacham Academy. The school closed in 1971. The Academy building burned in 1976.
Erected 2005 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
Location. 44° 19.671′ N, 72° 10.183′ W. Marker is in Peacham, Vermont, in Caledonia County. Marker is on Bayley-Hazen Road, 0.1 miles south of Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Peacham VT 05862, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this Ben's Mill (approx. 3.8 miles away); Greenbank's Hollow (approx. 4.2 miles away); James Whitehill Stone House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Danville Civil War Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Danville Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Thaddeus Stevens (approx. 6 miles away); Moore Round Barn (approx. 6.3 miles away); Henry Stevens / Henry Stevens, Jr. (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 554 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 4, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.